Saturday, October 31, 2009

Week 6 Reflections

This week's focus topics were cybercoaching, constructivism, and analyzing different course plans to clarify and identify components of effective learning.

As I was reading the article, "Cybercoaching: Rubrics, Metacognition, and Feedback, Oh My!" by Naomi Jeffrey Petersen, I studied the diagram of Chang and Petersen's Harmonic Feedback Loop with interest. In that diagram I could connect the process we use at WITC to develop and implement curriculum. The course design and stated objectives of the diagram parallel with our course outcome summaries and the teaching, learning, and assessment feedback loop represents what happens in the learning experiences designed by the instructors.

The Cybercoaching article contained many additional applications for implementing sound pedagogical practices online including personal feedback directly related to improving performance on the designated outcomes and using rubrics to facilitate learner independence and self evaluation. In my upcoming course, I want to pay particular attention to the coaching techniques regarding feedback to learners.

We also developed a pre-course survey to send to learners to gather information we can use to assess skills and knowledge learners have coming into the course. My survey focuses on technology and background in facilitating learning.

The final project draft is due next week. I want to get my learning objectives out on the practice post for feedback since they are in a format that is different than I'm used to. Looking at the objectives from a different perspective provides an opportunity to further clarify them - always a good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment